Drew, Interactive Media Student.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Delivery Requirements Portfolio

Initially I would need access to a computer with the usual set up; keyboard, mouse etc. The systems I would use to make the website would be Dreamweaver 8, Adobe Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2 and Flash CS3, the reason for the use of each of these versions is due to them being the versions that I own. Also I would need access to an internet connection to upload the site via FTP; I would do this from my local computer, on which I would design the website.

The first technology that I’ll be using to produce the site will be XHTML 1.0 Strict. I will be using this to produce the basic documents which hold my content; I have chosen to use Strict to show a better understanding of the mark-up.

The content will be styled by CSS, I will be using CSS to enable me to keep file sizes small and make coding faster. In addition CSS should provide a better result for my portfolio in search engines and help me to adhere to the W3C guidelines 1.0. The version of CSS I will use is CSS 1 and widely implemented features of 2 as they are the most widely supported version in current browsers.

When I am using Flash to produce elements of my web page I will be using Flash CS3. Should the elements produced contain actionscript it will be implemented in Actionscript 3.0 as this is the latest version of the language which is supported in Flash Player 9.

PHP 5 will be used if I am to use a form element on my portfolio and also if I want to password protect sections of the site. I am using this version of PHP as this is the latest version that is supported by my web host. I will also use PHP to enable people to contact me in on a form page.

7 Comments:

At Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 8:47:00 PM GMT, Blogger Craig Burgess said...

Just noticed that you mention CSS 2.1 is the most widely supported version of CSS, and I'd just like to mention to you that it isn't. You'd be better off sticking to CSS 1 for the majority of the things you do (which you do anyway without noticing), as the majority of the latest CSS isn't widely implemented by IE, especially IE 5 and 6.

It would make more sense for you to reword this to CSS 1 and widely implemented features of 2.

 
At Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 11:24:00 PM GMT, Blogger Marc Pugh said...

I was going to ask you that Craig, why you had put CSS1 and 2. I guess I know the answer now. I didn't even realise we already did both. Cheers

 
At Friday, February 1, 2008 at 11:11:00 AM GMT, Blogger Chris Towell said...

I would also suggest aiming for an earlier Flash player as well as not everyone will have 9 and may not want to update as of not knowing how etc, also I think ActionScript 2 should be enough for a portfolio assignment.

One more thing about Flash is how do you intend to make it validate? As this is another technology, it is easy to find and eventually implement.

 
At Sunday, February 3, 2008 at 4:25:00 PM GMT, Blogger DREW said...

Thanks Craig for the suggestion, I've edited it now.

Chris thanks for pointing that out about Flash players. I will think about it and may use 2 instead of 3. In regards to making it validate I haven't looked into it that far yet hopefully I will find a way... I may need some peer to peer advise on that.

 
At Monday, February 4, 2008 at 1:00:00 PM GMT, Blogger Richard said...

I think it is hard saying exactly what technology you are going to use when you have very limited - to no experience using it.

I have stated I will use action script 3.0 and I have no idea how this works, I just know some results other people have got using it.

I will have to change my post too and I think I might play it save and stick to what I know.

 
At Monday, February 4, 2008 at 3:12:00 PM GMT, Blogger Ben Waller said...

I agree with Rich I think that it is very difficult to state exactly what technology you are going to use when you have limited knowledge and experience with it.

I decided to only use things that I was comfortable using and felt would be effective for the site. I look forward to seeing what you do with Flash for your site though.

 
At Monday, February 4, 2008 at 3:44:00 PM GMT, Blogger Julian Dyer said...

It is also worth noting that not everyone will have Flash player 9 on their computer - you may have to put it into your site using an older version.

Again, you will have to see what your target audience is, and decide if you think they would have this piece of software or not. If not, you will have to find a way of designing your flash so it can be used by older plugin versions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home