Drew, Interactive Media Student.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Do You Love Blite?

My favourite colour combination would have to be Blue and White. Firstly this would be because my favourite colour is blue; blue is a calm and relaxing colour at the same time as being vibrant. In addition white is a clean colour, white compliments any colour that accompanies it which is often why it is used for background as not to take anything away from whatever is being displayed.

The most recent, and probably most famous, advocate of Blite is Apple. They have based a renaissance of their company on this with the famous apple logo in blue laid on a white background.
(Pic http://www.floridaventureblog.com)

The mood that this colour combination creates is one that is cool and refreshing, not only this; it also looks modish and tasteful. Although this combination has these connotations there are examples of where Blite looks classic and refined this can been seen in the popular Willow Pattern design.

(http://library.thinkquest.org/)

I believe the combinations main attraction is its fresh and peaceful ambience. This could be due to the association it has with the sky which conjures up thoughts of floating clouds rolling over scenic views.

(http://thor.info.uaic.ro/~busaco/photos/good-bye-blue-sky/index.html)

This colour combination is also well known as the colours for the Scottish Flag and so it has history routed there. We all saw Mel Gibson with his face painted white and Blue in Braveheart.

(www.mod.uk/.../Health/Scotland.htm)

And so I would have to advise that if you were looking for a colour combination to boost your sales, improve your product image or just add a touch of class then you should pick the combination of Blue and White = Blite a proven winning combination.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 11:20:00 PM GMT, Blogger Mirhad Kalabic said...

I agree mate, i think Blite is a fantastic colour combination. The sky and clouds are a perfect example. I think often its the colours that we see in nature that prove to be the best colour choices.

P.S it's almost as good as Bellow.

 
At Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 11:20:00 PM GMT, Blogger Julian Dyer said...

I must admit that I do like blue and white as a colour combination – it’s calming and fresh, and can have good ambient connotations. On the down side it can look a little corporate at times, but that depends on how it is used with other elements such as typography.

You have also highlighted some traditional roots to the colour blue, such as the Braveheart reference and the plate design. I think a company wanting to give a feeling of heritage would have to seriously consider blue, as it is a pretty traditional feel to it.

 
At Sunday, November 18, 2007 at 4:15:00 PM GMT, Blogger Craig Burgess said...

I think it's important to remember that there's so many variants of blue here Julian - they don't always feel that corporate. I do agree though, it can be a very corporate colour, but when white and blue are combined that don't seem as official-looking.

I guess that's the downside with choosing a colour combination here, there's so many different variations of colours that unless you specify the EXACT colour you are referring to then your original colour combination can give off a multitude of different opinions.

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 at 9:52:00 AM GMT, Blogger Chris Towell said...

Blue & White do look really good together especially the Mac image. I think that is the best image to show the colour scheme.

It does feel like a cool and refreshing colour scheme. I would use this as a colour scheme in my websites and I did use this colour scheme in my Ambient World Style Guide.

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 at 12:22:00 PM GMT, Blogger Richard said...

I see blue and white as a winter season colour scheme, very soft and cool. I agree with your last paragraph it is a colour combination that may improve a products image because most people will like this colour combination because it is not offensive in any way.

The only draw back for me would be that it isn’t very eye catching. But I will admit it is one of my favourite colour combinations too.

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 at 8:47:00 PM GMT, Blogger Scott Dunwoodie said...

I agree with Mirhad that some of the best colour combinations stem from nature and this one is no exception.

I have loads of images in my personal photography collection of blue sky's which are often embellished by a little fluffy cloud.

In my opinion there is nothing more relaxing and inspiring than to stare up at the clouds. So I am in agreement that this is an effective colour combination.

I also appreciate the reference to Braveheart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home