Drew, Interactive Media Student.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Pockets Deap, Mountain High

This week we were given the chance to get on with our projects, for those of us who felt ready. I personally didn’t know where to start so I did the Dreamweaver tutorial so I could get to learn my way around the workspace a bit better.

I found the tutorial really useful, it did go back and cover the areas that Steve had taught us last week regarding setting up folders etc, but then went a bit further forward and gave help on setting up the design.

After finishing the tutorial I was feeling much more confident about building my own site and it had even taught me some basic CSS which I fell capable of using.

My problem now is that I have designed a website in a way that I thought would be easy to construct but now I find that I want to redesign elements of it having a better knowledge of how a webpage can be constructed. We’ll have to see what happens.

This week was slightly different than usual as Steve had arranged a trip to a design company in Huddersfield. We had been told about the trip towards the end of the first semester and I was keen to go on the trip from the start, unfortunately the offer was only open to four students.

As I was very keen to go on the trip I had asked to go almost immediately and so I was pleased this week to receive my official email invitation to the exclusive gathering. The final four, after the televised auditions with a text vote was Ben, Craig A, Craig B and I.

The business we went to visit is called The Design Mechanics and their website is www.thedesignmechanics.co.uk they are a design company with a new outlook on how to offer a design service.

After the journey by car to what seemed like the top of a mountain, for me and humble car, we arrived at a business estate that was made up of a few small companies. To describe its appearance would make it sound less than it is, but basically it was a group of static porter cabins that were fixed into place with a nice bit of garden in front.

First of all we met Dave Pannel and the Head Designer Paul, we were given an introduction to the company and it was explained how they work. It was interesting to hear that they have what is like an application form which is filled out by one of their sales reps and the customer, this is then presented to a designer who will use this ‘Fact Find’ to produce the necessary design work.

This seems quite a novel way for a design company to work as the designer never meets the customer, they explained this was almost the essence of their business and that cutting out the middle of the design process enables them to keep man hours on projects to a minimum which means they can offer such good prices.

After the talk on the business we were all invited to show examples of our work, Craig B jumped up first, reliable as ever, I thought I was going to have to get up. I went up second, it took me about 5 mins just to get my USB stick out of my pocket amongst lip salve and keys.
I was pleased with the presentation I did as personally I feel I stayed relaxed and entertaining and felt they liked the work I had shown them.

After all presentations were given we then got to go and sit with one of the designers, they were all relatively new, having started the job in September. The work they were producing was of a good standard and I was really impressed with the whole business.

I would recommend any of my classmates to jump at the chance to go if it is offered again, there was so much information we were given today that I’m sure I could carry on writing for a while.

Overall I am really grateful for the opportunity to go to the business and it has made me feel much more hungry and passionate to achieve my goal to get into the design industry. It has also made me feel that I am not a million miles away anymore. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

5 Comments:

At Friday, January 26, 2007 at 12:03:00 AM GMT, Blogger Gem said...

You sound like you enjoyed the experience Drew. I was disappointed I couldn't go in the end.
Could you explain a little more about the 'Fact File', sounds an interesting way of doing things.
What sort of questions were asked to establish a picture of what the customer wanted?

 
At Friday, January 26, 2007 at 2:05:00 PM GMT, Blogger Dean said...

Wonder if we will all get a chance to go throughout the course. It sounds interesting. Would be nice to visit a few different ones to get a view from different angles.

 
At Friday, January 26, 2007 at 6:27:00 PM GMT, Blogger Ben Waller said...

I really enjoyed the trip as well and felt that it was a great opportunity, I would be very happy to work in a place with such a laid back atmosphere after we finish the course!

 
At Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 11:54:00 AM GMT, Blogger Scott Dunwoodie said...

It appears that you all had an interesting afternoon at "TDM".

It seems that their use of a "Fact Find" is to glean as much information as possible from the customer at the start of the design process to cut down on amendments later on.

Seems like a good plan!

 
At Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 1:46:00 PM GMT, Blogger Mark said...

Hi Drew,

I just wanted to say how impressed I was with your graphic work, I think on the 2nd year a lot of students do not have the creativity that you do. I believe it will stand you on good ground for the future.

I have some design / illustration experience (though not to degree level) and I found it helps greatly.

Mark Feather

 

Post a Comment

<< Home