Drew, Interactive Media Student.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Dusty

This week in college we were having another talk from a previous student, the talk was given by Marc Bowers.

Marc was really interesting to listen to, I feel that we got a really good idea of the way his office works and the work that he produces. He wasn't as confident stood up in front of us all as Jonny was but after a few minutes he warmed up and it all went really well.

Jonny seemed to have more freedom with his work from what I understood from his presentation, whereas in Marc's job role it seemed that he was restricted to laying his designs out inside a predesigned template.

Never the less it seems that Marc has done really well for himself and it always makes me aspirational meeting these ex students about where I might end up when I finish the course.

I class this week we were starting our new project and so we did quite a bit of theory work in the morning before Marc's talk and then some more later in the afternoon.

I had forgotten that we did this element as I think we have been doing quite alot of practical lately, when we started looking at slides and taking notes I was like... 'oh yeah' but then I don't remember much of what I did ten minutes ago.

It was really interesting to learn the theory of designing a good logo and I could immediately see that there is more to consider than just making it look 'pretty'. This is something I have done in the past not taking into consideration the different ways a logo will be reproduced.

Even looking at the logo I designed for Back to Basics, my Grass Roots logo, I can see now that it doesn't fill as much of the space surrounding in as it should meaning it doesn't have good presence and also the details of it are quite fine and so would be lost if it were reduced.

However I do think it was a success in that it would have a strong silhouette.

In the late afternoon we had to pick what song we were going to use for the new project, my choices seemed to have a magician theme; 1. Black Dust 2. Magic Diner 3. Solitaire

I am pleased to say that I have got my first choice, I just have to wait and see what the music will be like now.

I am looking forward to this project as it is, for HNC, a print based project and it will give me good opertunity to learn the rule of graphic design and using templates to place design elements. In my previous experience I have always just estimated my placement of objects by eye so I think this is going to be really valuable for me.

Very good week, gold star *

1 Comments:

At Monday, March 19, 2007 at 10:27:00 AM GMT, Blogger Richard said...

I am also looking forward to this assignment. I have done IT work (reports, spreadsheets, databases) all the way from school, so this assignment is one of the reasons I joined this course.

I liked your Grass Roots logo, and Steve did say it is very difficult to meet each section in what makes a good logo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home