Drew, Interactive Media Student.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Almost Done

This week at college we were having a get on with it week, I always appreciate these when it is getting close to deadlines.

I was pleased with the progress that I had made in my personal study and had a design that I thought was almost finished when I turned up for class. I showed it to a few of my peers who were sat near by and they all said they liked the design.

As always my development came in when I needed to chose an appropriate font to use. I think this is usually the area of my design that I find most difficult to get right.
the design I have now developed and finished for pages 1 and 4 of the CD booklet is shown below.




Personally I am quite pleased with the design, my natural response to the brief would have been to produce a design that was a vector illustration. having been given a brief that required me to work in photoshop I have been forced to tackle it from a different angle and although I feel like I could continue making improvements I like the design I have come up with and feel I have made some progress with techniques used in Photoshop.

The design itself I feel also speaks volumes for my progress as a designer as the design itself is not something that is to my personal taste, the design I posted on my earlier blog which looks a bit more 'trendy' was a design I felt more comfortable with.
Whilst completing my final CD cover I realised, with the help of my peers, that I needed a more sophisticated star shape for my 'black dust'. Obviously I searched google for some free brushes and I found some good ones at the following link- http://graphicssoft.about.com/, which has further links to more free Photoshop goodies, check it out.

In addition to finishing my CD cover I have now also managed to finish my logo design which can be seen below.


After being asked to work with this design out of the four I had developed was also taking me out of my comfort area as again I was asked to produce something that wasn't to my personal taste.
I think the final result shows what some good development work can do for an idea. I feel like I have really accomplished something with this logo.

please let me know what you think of it.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 12:36:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Dean said...

Those stars look tons better. The font and colouring on 'black dust' is also an improvement.

Still would be nice to see a version that has the planets adhering to the physics of light and shadow from the sunset. Go on, humour me.

My brain is telling me that there is something not right and maybe it's that.

 
At Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 8:45:00 AM GMT+1, Blogger Craig Burgess said...

I like the CD case but I'm just curious, don't you have to put the track listing on page 4?

 
At Monday, October 1, 2007 at 2:33:00 PM GMT+1, Blogger Andrew said...

I'm not sure if the stars work with the rest of it, i think it tends to catch your eye too much and break you away from the titles / information; without it would've had a must cleaner look. Try next time working on the roughness of those stars and instead of leaving them as a sharp picture, work them into the background alittle more, maybe try a motion blur & messing with the opacity.

The pictures you used to manipulate where good choices and your colour scheme seemed to fit the design brief of what you were going for.

Your main title typography could've improved, i think sometimes a little less is abit more. Maybe that's just my taste or if simple would not of fit your design brief; but i think the text comes off as too in your face to match the rest of the CD Cover.

Overall - A nice piece, produced well; with a real clear idea of the target market and what you aimed to acheive before doing it.
Good Job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home